IS PCOS A SERIOUS PROBLEM?
By: Dr. Sophia - Consultant Fertility specialist Garbhagudi IVF Center, Electronic city
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Infertility is one of the common PCOS symptoms. Many women don’t realize they have PCOS until they try to become pregnant and their irregular periods go from being an inconvenience to an actual fertility problem.
PCOS is a syndrome disease defined by a collection of signs and symptoms.
- INFERTILITY:- There is excess production of male hormone called androgen which interferes with ovulation, cyclical menstruation, egg quality and hence infertility issues
- PCOS is not just about infertility:- Weight gain, increased body hair, facial hair, thinning of hair on the scalp and acne are also other common symptoms of PCOS
- INSULIN RESISTANCE:– Many women with PCOS have pre-diabetic symptoms because of insulin resistance, a hormone required for glucose metabolism. Insulin resistance also causes a skin condition known as Acanthosis nigricans, avelvety, light-brown-to-black, markings usually on the neck, under the arms or in the groin.
- Women with PCOS have a higher risk of developing:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- High cholesterol
- Anxiety and Depression
- Sleep apnea
- Endometrial cancer
- Heart attack
- Breast cancer
You can’t prevent PCOS from developing. Getting diagnosed early and making lifestyle changes with prompt treatment are the best ways to lower the complications and risks associated with PCOS. If you have PCOS and are overweight, you can even reverse your symptoms through weight loss also!!
And with the currently available treatment options, successful treatment of infertility is usually possible in majority of patients with PCOS.
Coming up next is the blog on the management of PCOS and infertility…